Not For Sale


Last year I read Not for Sale with my book club. It's a great book about the global slave trade. I had no idea the extent of how bad things really are. The book looks at various parts of the globe and tells what's happening and how people are trying to help, even in America. Here is a quote from the book:

Human trafficking generates $31 billion annually and enslaves 27 million people around the globe, half of them children under the age of eighteen.....Go behind the facade in any major town or city in the world today and you are likely to find a thriving commerce in human beings. You may even find slavery in your own backyard.

It's easy to think that human trafficking only takes place in other parts of the world, but it really is all over the states too. Last year KGW news ran a series about sex slavery taking place in Portland (click here for a link to my previous post about it). I highly recommend this book as a good way to educate yourself on a major issue that can't be ignored anymore.

Comments

Lori Rice said…
I just heard yesterday about how Portland is a hotbed for human trafficking. I was disturbed, but sadly not surprised. There is a fundraiser going on this Sunday to raise money for a safehouse to aid police in removing children from this horrible situation.

Popular Posts