Fear of Failure

Back in October I was challenged to submit a presentation proposal at an upcoming conference I wanted to attend. The conference is the Institute on College Student Values and it takes place at Florida State University in Tallahassee in early February. When I heard about the conference I knew I wanted to go, but it would be a little expensive. My boss encouraged me to make a presentation proposal to see if it could offset the cost. Patrick, one of the other RDs from JBU and I submitted a session titled "Assessing Student Values Gained Through Residential Living." After waiting what seemed like a really long month and a half we finally got word that our proposal was accepted!

Putting myself out there to be rejected really made me nervous because it's not a very big conference and this is something I've never done before. Multiple times while Patrick and I were planning I almost said it wasn't worth it and thought about quiting. My insecurity was getting to me and making me think it wasn't worth the effort. I'm really thankful we went for it. We also got a scholarship from ACSD (Student Development organization we're members of) to offset the cost. Now the hard work of preparation begins.

Comments

Nancy said…
That's super, Greg...I know you'll be a great presenter. You'll probably be asked to do it again.
Anonymous said…
You Rock, way to handle those fears.

Popular Posts