11 Rings


One thing I love about watching NBA basketball is that it is an emotional game. The best team doesn't always win (see Dallas sweeping LA). Props to Dallas, they are way better than I gave them credit for, but the Lakers simply are a better team. There are so many x-factors like team chemistry, coaching, and preparation that affect the outcome of the game. Sheer athleticism and talent will get you a long ways, but that isn't enough (see Lakers being swept by Dallas).

With the Lakers early exit this year, Phil Jackson is planning on walking away from coaching. He is one of the greatest coaches of all time. He's won 11 rings. That's simply amazing. Bill Simmons wrote a great article that summarizes what made him a good coach, it was managing relationships.Granted Phil coached some of the greatest players to ever play the game, but that isn't a guaranty of winning and doesn't limit how impressive his resume is. Simmons points out that balancing MJ's ego with just the right about of pushing him towards teamwork is what made Jackson so successful with the Bulls. I'm the first to admit that I hate the Lakers and I couldn't stand Chicago during MJ's reign. However, I do respect what Phil did and I don't think his success will soon be replicated. If you are a basketball fan I highly recommend this article, check it out here.

Comments

Popular Posts