OKC Memorial

This morning I woke up at 4:45 and headed into downtown Oklahoma City. There were 15,000 runners with 5,000 volunteers. Throughout the course people were outside cheering us on and saying "Thank You" in appreciation. The race went really well. I had debated whether to run with friends the whole time or push myself to see what I could do. So, I stayed with friends for the first two miles at a slow pace then took off making up a lot of time up until about mile 7. After mile 7 I got tired and from then on it was a challenge just to keep a steady pace. My stretch goal was to get in at 2 hours 10 minutes. I made it at 2:09:48. Carolyn was a great encourager & I saw her three different times on the course, which always made me feel like I had a little more energy.

It was a surprisingly emotional experience. Crossing the finish line felt great and I feel privileged to have been apart of something so meaningful to the city. We experienced the Bombing Memorial site two different times and it was incredible. If your ever in OkC you have to check it out.

I still don't consider myself a runner, but it is a good feeling to go from "I hate running" to completing a half-marathon at a personally challenging pace.

Comments

Carolyn said…
I'm so proud of you! You did great! And I don't know if you can deny being a runner for too much longer.

Popular Posts