End of St. Louis

We're back from St. Louis & we arrived home to find my bike frame had arrived in the mail. I've been spending a lot of time looking up parts & prices to realize it'll be a long while before it's road ready. On Wednesday before we headed for home we visited the Gateway Arch. It's taller than the Space Needle & is the largest National Monument. The so called "tram" that you ride up in is more like a capsule that they stuff five people into. It was shockingly small, maybe 5 ft. high & wide. After four minutes cozily stuffed into it with perfect strangers we arrived at the top viewing area. It was a windy day and it was shaking the whole time we were up there. The view was great, but I still couldn't stand up straight. Glad we got to experience it, but I'm not dying to do it again. I also took for granted that it isn't that old. It was build in the mid 60s & is quite an architectural marvel.

Comments

Jed said…
Yeah dude -- we did the arch when I was a kid, probably 9 or 10. I remember climbing into the little cylinder with a couple of other people and thinking that it felt an awful lot like we were going down into the ocean or something rather than up to the top of the arch. And the way it readjusts its alignment was somewhat disturbing too. Fun stuff though, I would love to go back and see it again as an adult.

Popular Posts